The PCE Programme includes;
- Increasing the use of Generic medicines
- Reducing medicines wastage
- Implementing a Northern Ireland Wound Care Formulary
- Implementing a Northern Ireland Formulary
The PCE Programme's initiatives continue to contribute to the Department's efficiency strategy.
- It is based upon the principle that improvement in the quality and safety of services will lead to health gains and associated efficiencies.
- It applies robust, transparent and defensible methodology to the procurement and utilisation of medicines and medicines technology across the Health and Social Care Service in Northern Ireland.
The key objectives of the PCE Programme are:
- To improve the quality and cost effectiveness of medicines management in Health and Social Care Services
- To support new policies and service developments targeted at improving medicines management within the HSC.