The COSHH regulations specify the eight measures that employers must follow to prevent or limit their employees’ exposure to hazardous substances.
The measures are:
- assess the risks
- decide what precautions are needed
- prevent or adequately control exposure
- ensure that control measures are used and maintained
- monitor the exposure
- carry out appropriate health surveillance
- prepare plans and procedures to deal with accidents, incidents and emergencies
- ensure employees are properly informed, trained and supervised
Records management considerations
The regulations require that organisations retain records of risk assessments, control measures, exposure monitoring and health surveillance.
Some of these records must be kept for specified periods; these are detailed in the disposal schedule in Part 2 of GMGR.