The Department of Health has today published “Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (January – March 2023)”.
This publication of quarterly figures relates to assessments and re-assessments offered to carers in Northern Ireland. A carers’ assessment looks at each carer as an individual with their own personal circumstances, and will identify any particular needs they may have as a result their caring duties.
Key Facts and Figures:
During quarter ending 31 March 2023:
- A carers' assessment was offered to 4,077 carers in Northern Ireland during the Quarter ending 31 March 2023. This represented an 2% increase on the number of assessments offered in the previous quarter, and an increase of 15% when compared to the same quarter in 2022.
- Of the 4,077 carers’ assessments offered, 54% (2,189) were accepted / completed and 46% (1,888) were declined.
- Those carers caring for someone in the Family and Childcare / Children with Disabilities client groups were the most likely to accept an offer of an assessment, whereas those caring for someone in the Older People client group were most likely to decline an offer of an assessment.
- A carers' reassessment was offered to 1,511 carers in Northern Ireland during the Quarter ending 31 March 2023. This represents a 3% increase on the number of reassessments offered in the previous quarter, and an increase of 20% when compared to the same quarter in 2022.
- Of the 1,511 carers’ reassessments offered, 82% (1,241) were accepted / completed and 18% (270) were declined.
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
- A statistical release of carers’ information is published on a quarterly basis.
- Statistics detailed within the bulletin are presented regionally and by Health and Social Care Trust in respect of carers’ assessments and reassessments that are offered, accepted / completed and declined; and are available by the client group of the person being cared for.
- Similar statistics relating to the quarter ending 30 June 2023 are due for release in September 2023.
- This publication is available online at:
- Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2
Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 522342
Internet: Department of Health
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of the quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 30 September 2023 30 November 2023
- New pancreatic cancer partnership announced 30 November 2023
- Health Survey (NI): First Results 2022/23 29 November 2023
- New obesity consultations launched 24 November 2023