The Department of Health welcomes the stabilisation plan for Daisy Hill Hospital announced today by the Southern Health and Social Care Trust.
The plan provides stability for the summer months with further intensive work required for the medium and longer term future.
Department of Health Permanent Secretary Peter May said: “I pay tribute to the commitment of clinicians and Trust management to address the significant challenges with senior medical cover at Daisy Hill Hospital.
“There will be no let up in the efforts to secure a stable future for the hospital. Daisy Hill provides vital care to the local community and is an important part of NI’s hospital network.
“The Department and Trust remain determined to minimise impact on services from the clinical staffing issues and to protect Daisy Hill’s Emergency Department.
“The Department has underlined its support for Daisy Hill with the decision to designate it as a regional overnight surgery centre and with the announcement earlier this year of a £9.1m upgrade of the hospital’s electrical infrastructure.”
Mr May added: “I would appeal to political and community representatives to continue working with Southern Trust, as it tackles the challenges facing Daisy Hill. These challenges are the same as those experienced by local hospitals across different jurisdictions.
“Unfounded claims about plans to ‘downgrade’ hospitals damage the ability of the Trust to recruit staff and stabilise services.”
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110
- Publication of the quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 30 September 2023 30 November 2023
- New pancreatic cancer partnership announced 30 November 2023
- Health Survey (NI): First Results 2022/23 29 November 2023
- New obesity consultations launched 24 November 2023