Revised DoH consent forms for postmortem examination
In 2005, in response to the findings of the Northern Ireland Human Organs Inquiry (2002) chaired by John O’Hara QC and in anticipation of the requirements of the newly enacted Human Tissue Act, the department issued four new regional consent forms for post mortem examination: histopathological, baby, child and adult, with accompanying information booklets.
These forms had remained in use since that time and facilitated a much more detailed and informed consent process.
Revision of the forms was necessary following a Human Tissue Authority (HTA) inspection of pathology services in the Belfast and Western trusts in 2009, when it was identified that a number of amendments were needed to comply with the current requirements of the Human Tissue Act (2004).
- hospital postmortem examination of a baby
- hospital postmortem examination of an adult or child
- histopathological examination and disposal of early miscarriages
- coroners postmortem examination
- Bereavement guidance after the experience of a miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death
- HSC consent for hospital postmortem examination - Regional Policy January 2019
- HSS (MD) 17/2015 - 8 October 2015 - Consent for Hospital Post-Mortem Examination