Role of the department
The Department provides guidance to the Health and Social Care Board (HSCB) regarding the equitable distribution of resources between its Local Commissioning Groups (LCGs), this guidance is provided through the regional capitation formula.
The regional capitation formula is used to determine the fair allocation of the available resources for each geographical area being considered for the allocation year.
Details of the current formula
The formula is updated annually with the latest demographic and expenditure data. Information on the 2014/15 model can be found below.
Current research reports
Research to update the models used in the formula is carried out on a continuous and rolling basis, links to the most recent related publications can be found below.
Additional products from models
In addition to using the model for resource allocation there are also a number of additional products created as a by-product of the modelling work. Some of these products are included here.
- The demographic model updated with 2012 based population projections
- Illustration of the simplified modelling of spatial systems
- Update to estimate of hospital catchment population
Additional information around the funding of primary care can be found at GP activity, funding and prescribing statistics
Additional technical reports
- Resource allocation modelling for Northern Ireland programmes of care (POC): 1 and 4
- Additional needs analysis for the family and child care programme of care (POC) 3
- Modelling the distribution of services for people with learning disabilities in Northern Ireland
- Modelling distribution of services for people with physical and sensory disabilities in Northern Ireland programme of care (POC) 7
- Research on the different costs of providing health and social services in area across Northern Ireland arising through economics of scale
For further information contact us