Health Minister, Simon Hamilton, today announced the extension to the term of appointment of the non-executive Chair, Mr Gerard Guckian, of the Western Health and Social Care Trust (WHSCT).
Mr Guckian’s extended term of appointment is for up to a further 12 months from 1 August 2015 to 31 July 2016, and carries a time commitment of three days per week and may involve commitment both inside and outside normal working hours.
The non-executive Chair of the Western Trust appointment attracts an annual remuneration of £29,716.
The extension to the terms of this appointment is to allow the full process of appointing a new non-executive Chair to the Western Trust Board to be completed.
The Western Trust is one of five Trusts established as statutorily separate organisations within the HSC family, responsible for the delivery of responsive and effective health and care services and for the ownership and management of hospitals and other establishments and facilities. They provide health and social care services against Ministerial priorities, standards and targets. Services will be provided as specified in contracts with the commissioners of health and social care services, namely the HSC Board.
Although Trusts are statutorily separate organisations, they are an integral part of the HSC and are expected to deliver against an agenda set by the Minister and performance managed by the Department and the HSC Board.
The extension to the term of this appointment is made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
The Board of the Western Trust comprises of a non-executive Chair and seven non-executive Directors.
Notes to editors:
1. Appointment - Mr Gerard Guckian
Gerard Guckian was appointed Chair of the Western Health and Social Care Trust in August 2006. He also Chairs the Trust’s Governance and Remuneration Committees. Prior to this he was Chairman of Altnagelvin Hospitals Health and Social Services Trust from May 2004.
He was previously a non-executive Trust Board Member for that Trust for 2 ½ years and had Chaired its Clinical and Social Care Governance Committee. Since 2004 Mr Guckian has been a member of the Representatives Group of the Northern Ireland Confederation for Health & Social Services (NICON) and Chaired the representatives group for two years from January 2012 to December 2013.
Mr Guckian is a partner in a firm of solicitors in Londonderry, with a special interest in Family Law/Law relating to Children. He was appointed as Deputy Lieutenant for the City of Londonderry in 2014. Mr Guckian holds no other public appointments.
2. This appointment is made with the approval of the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Guckian has declared that they have not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
4. Media enquiries to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0579. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Extension to term of Office of a Non-Executive Member of the Patient and Client Council 17 July 2019
- Reappointment of two Non-Executive Directors to the Public Health Agency 09 July 2019
- Complaints and Compliments received by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland 2018-19 04 July 2019
- Transformation fund continues to support much-needed change 04 July 2019