Health Minister Robin Swann has announced his intention to increase the frequency of COVID-19 testing for staff working in care homes across Northern Ireland.
Regular testing of staff will increase from once every two weeks to once a week. This should commence as soon as possible, rolling out from next week. Care homes should now progress arrangements to increase testing of their staff to a once a week cycle.
Mr Swann again underlined that care homes remain on the front line in the battle against the virus.
“I am pleased today to be able to confirm that testing is being made available to care home staff on a weekly basis. I have asked officials to ensure this takes effect right across the sector as soon as possible.
“I do not underestimate the logistical challenges this will bring, but I have no doubt it is the right thing to do.
“The expansion of testing is one of the most important weapons in our continuing battle with COVID-19.”
The Minister added: “Our care homes – like the rest of the health and social care system – are under considerable pressure. I acknowledge the dedication and hard work of staff in our homes and also the support being provided to homes by the Trusts, PHA and HSCB.
“No one should be taking any false assurance from the welcome drop in positive cases we have seen in Northern Ireland in recent days. The system is now dealing with the serious consequences of infections acquired over recent weeks.
“The more prevalent the virus is in our community, the greater the risk of it spreading into our care homes."
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2021) 24 September 2021
- Don’t miss out on final walk-in jab clinics 24 September 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 12 September to 18 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Workforce Appeal will help tackle hospital pressures – Swann 23 September 2021