Health Minister Robin Swann has welcomed the news that the newly launched Covid-19 vaccination programme has already reached its first care home.
A mobile team from Belfast Health and Social Care Trust vaccinated residents and staff at Palmerston Care Home in Sydenham today.
Palmerston provides care to older people who are living with dementia.
Further vaccination deployments to care homes are planned for tomorrow, and the intention is to cover all homes across Northern Ireland in the coming weeks.
The Health Minister said: “This is a massive exercise and I am pleased we have already started to deliver on our pledge to prioritise care homes in the first phase of the programme, in line with JCVI advice.”
“This has been an emotional day, as we start to allow ourselves to hope for a better future in 2021.
“It is critical that we keep doing everything we can to stop the virus spreading, while we begin the process of vaccinating those considered most at risk from Coronavirus.”
Registered manager of Palmerston residential home Paul Johnston said: “We are very pleased to be the first care home in Northern Ireland to be included in the Covid-19 vaccination programme. This has been an incredibly tough year for the care home sector and it is great to be able to end it on a hopeful note.
“It is so important that everyone remains vigilant about the threat from Coronavirus. The more infection rates increase in the community, the greater the risk is to care homes – so please do all you can to stop the virus spreading.”
Media are asked to respect the privacy of the care home residents and families.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- We cannot ease up in our fightback – Health Minister 15 January 2021
- Revised visiting guidance comes into effect today 15 January 2021
- Travel Corridor Suspended 15 January 2021
- Ministers welcome launch of pharmacy codeword scheme for domestic abuse victims 15 January 2021