The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety today published statistics collected from Health & Social Care (HSC) Trusts, Agencies and Legacy Health and Social Services (HSS) Boards on all clinical/social care negligence cases in Northern Ireland open during the year ending 31 March 2015.
The statistical bulletin presents information on clinical/social care negligence cases that were open at any stage during the year ending 31 March 2015.
The key findings presented in the statistics release are listed below.
Payments in 2014/15:
- during 2014/15, £41.4 million was paid on clinical/social care negligence cases in Northern Ireland (Figure 1, Table 1)
Payments to Date:
- during 2014/15, 3,601 clinical/social care negligence cases were open at any stage, an increase of 366 (11.3%), from 3,235 during 2010/11 (Table 2)
- in 2014/15, 752 new cases were opened, 689 cases were closed, whilst 2,721 cases remained open and 191 cases had been settled at 31st March 2015 (Figure 3, Tables 3 - 7)
- the average clinical/social care negligence case open in 2014/15 had been open for 2.6 years (Figure 5)
- over half (56.0%, 2,016) of all clinical/social care negligence cases referred to the following four specialties; ‘Obstetrics’ (626), ‘Accident & Emergency’ (623), ‘General Surgery’ (384) and ‘Trauma and Orthopaedics’ (383) (Table 12)
- a total of £96.6 million has been paid to date on the 3,601 clinical/social care negligence cases which were open at any stage during 2014/15. Of which, almost £73.8 million (76.4%) has been awarded in damages and £22.7 million (23.6%) paid out in legal costs (defence and plaintiff) (Table 13)
- over half (51.8%, £50.0m) of the amount paid out on clinical/social care negligence cases open at any stage during 2014/15 referred to the ‘Obstetrics’ speciality, of which, over four fifths (82.0%, £41.0m) had been paid on damages (Table 14)
- Clinical negligence case NI 2015-15
Notes to editors:
1. The information detailed in this publication is derived from the Departmental CN1 and CN1a statistical returns provided by & Social Care (HSC) Trusts, Agencies and Legacy Health and Social Services (HSS) Boards.
2. All information has been validated with Health & Social Care Trusts, and incorporates all returns and amendments received up to 16 November 2015.
Further information on Clinical/Social Care Negligence statistics is available from:
Hospital Information Branch
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Annexe 2, Castle Buildings
Stormont, BT4 3SQ
Tel: 028 90 520064
Fax: 028 90 523288
3. Media queries to DHSSPS Information Office on 02890 520 579, or out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Swann highlights role of Interpreters to support Ukrainian Refugees 05 July 2022
- Minister updates MLAs on health transformation and escalating budgetary pressures 05 July 2022
- Northern Ireland Health Service to receive the George Cross 05 July 2022
- Minister endorses PACU plan for post op surgery care 05 July 2022