The Department of Health has announced the reappointment of one Non-Executive Director and short-term extensions to the appointments of two other Non-Executive Directors of the Western Health & Social Care Trust Board.
Mr Joe Campbell was reappointed from 1 October 2019 to a date not later than 30 September 2023. Mrs Mary Woods’ term has been extended from
1 October 2019 to a date not later than 31 January 2020; and Dr George McIlroy’s term is to be extended from 7 December 2019 to a date not later than 31 January 2020.
The Non-Executive Director role attracts a remuneration of £8,283 per annum and carries a time commitment of 1 day per week.
The Western HSC Trust is one of five Trusts established as statutorily separate organisations within the HSC family, responsible for the delivery of responsive and effective health and care services and for the ownership and management of hospitals and other establishments and facilities.
They provide health and social care services against Ministerial priorities, standards and targets and are performance managed by the Department and the HSC Board. Services will be provided as specified in contracts with the commissioners of health and social care services, namely the HSC Board.
All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. All appointees declared they had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for NI.
Notes to editors:
1. Mrs Mary Woods – Mary Woods qualified as a Pharmacist in 1980 and joined the Boots Company where she held many managerial positions throughout N. Ireland before retiring in 2014 from the position of Head of Region Ireland. Mary was very involved in retail business in N Ireland, holding the position of President, Belfast Chamber of Trade and sat as a Director on Belfast City Centre Management Company. Since retiring from Boots, Mary has set up her own company and works as a self-employed consultant specialising in leadership mentoring, leadership development training and is a qualified Mediator.
Mary is also sits on the N. Ireland Solicitors Tribunal as a lay member and has recently completed her term as Board member on The N. Ireland Consumer Council.
2. Mr Joseph Campbell – Joe is a fellow member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and was the City Treasurer of Derry City Council until November 2013 and was the Regional Chair of the Association of Local Government Finance Officers from 2010 to 2012. He is currently an Independent Member of the Audit and Risk Committees of the Special European Union Programmes Body and NI Commissioner for Children and Young People and is the Independent Chair of the Audit Committee of Newry, Mourne and Down Council. Joe is also a Member of the CIMA Conduct Committee and is Chair of the Board of Governors of Belmont Nursery School and Vice Chair of the Board of Governors of Long Tower Primary School.
3. Dr George McIlroy - Dr McIlroy was Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer responsible for Veterinary Policy and was Head of the FMD Command Centres during the 2001 Outbreak. He was Chief Scientific Officer (Deputy Secretary) and a Member of the Department of Agriculture Board. He established a new ‘arm’s-length-body’, the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (850 staff, Budget £55m) and was appointed CEO of the Institute.
Dr McIlroy is a Board Member of the Northern Ireland Fishery Harbour Authority, a Trustee of National Museums NI and was Deputy Chair of the TB Strategic Partnership Advisory Board to the Minister of Agriculture. Dr McIlroy is a Fellow of the Institute of Directors, Fellow of the Institute of Food Science and Technology and a Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management. He is a long-standing Volunteer and previous Member of the Business Development Committee, for Tearfund and a Trustee of Walking Free, an International Christian Outreach Ministry.
4. These reappointments are made with the approval of the Permanent Secretary of the Department of Health. There are no specific qualifications required for these appointments.
5. Media enquiries to DoH Press Office on 02890 520575 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 02890 378110.
6. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- Independent Chair to take forward work on Mother and Baby Homes, Magdalene Laundries and Historical Clerical Child Abuse 06 July 2020
- Domestic and Sexual Abuse Action Plan and Progress Report published 03 July 2020
- Minister urges everyone to clap for the health service 03 July 2020
- Health Minister meets with BDA Representatives 02 July 2020