The Department of Health has today published “Patient Education / Self Management Programmes for People with Long Term Conditions 2017/18”.
This publication of annual figures relates to Patient Education / Self Management Programmes in Northern Ireland.
Key Facts and Figures:
- There were 38 patient education / self management programmes provided a total of 1,456 times with 13,037 participants in 2017/18*.
- Programme frequency has increased by 13% when compared to 2016/17 (1,291). Participant numbers have increased by 1% (127) in 2017/18 when compared to 2016/17* (12,910).
- Approximately 1 in 4 participants attended a diabetes type 2 specific programme with 15% and 14% of participants attending a programme for COPD and cardiac conditions respectively.
- Of the 13,037* participants, 72% were attending a patient education / self management programme delivered by the five HSC Trusts.
- 10,951* participants (84%) attended a programme that was statutory funded.
* The Belfast HSC Trust did not provide figures for 2017/18 therefore their data has been imputed based on 2016/17. Further information can be found in the Data Presentation section of Appendix B in the publication. Alzheimer’s Society did not provide information for programmes that ran in the Belfast, Northern and South Eastern HSC Trusts during 2016/17. Programmes in these areas accounted for approximately 1,300 participants in 2015/16.
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
- Statistics detailed within the bulletin present information on patient education / self management programmes for long term conditions collected from Health & Social Care (HSC) Trusts and independent sector programme providers. It details information on the type, provision, frequency and Trust area of the programmes delivered during the year 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018.
- This publication is available online at: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/topics/doh-statistics-and-research/patient-education-programmes
- Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Belfast BT4 3SQ
Tel: (028) 90 528134
Internet: Department of Health
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Publication of “Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2022)” 23 September 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 23 September 2022
- Extension to the term of a Non-Executive (Lay) Director of the Northern Health and Social Care Trust 23 September 2022
- Health Minister welcomes roll out of vaccination programme 21 September 2022