The Department of Health today provided a further update for elected representatives on the neurology patient recall by the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust.
The Department can also reveal the latest recall appointment figures, collated by the Health and Social Care Board and Public Health Agency.
Between 1 May and 30 May 2018, 678 people have been seen as part of the recall. A further 1,650 appointments have been booked for people to be seen over coming weeks.
It is intended that information on the outcomes of the recall appointments will be made public as appropriate, when sufficient numbers have been analysed to allow for meaningful conclusions.
The full picture on the extent of changed or updated diagnoses and treatments will only be ascertained at the conclusion of both the recall process and any follow-up appointments.
The Belfast Trust continues to seek to contact the remaining patients, approximately 140, who have yet to respond to the recall. That will include contact by phone and through GPs if required.
Small numbers of recalled patients have either declined appointments or not attended their booked clinics. A further small number has requested and been given appointments outside the 12 week period.
The Belfast Trust advises that those who have not yet responded to the recall process may still secure an appointment if they contact the Trust by 15 June.
After that, free appointment slots will be used for those recalled patients requiring follow-up appointments.
This approach will ensure that all available appointment slots are used. Any patient making contact after this date will be seen no later than 12 weeks from the date of making contact.
Notes to editors:
1. For media enquiries please contact the Department of Health Press Office Team on 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Publication of the quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 30 September 2023 30 November 2023
- New pancreatic cancer partnership announced 30 November 2023
- Health Survey (NI): First Results 2022/23 29 November 2023
- New obesity consultations launched 24 November 2023