The Department of Health today published the response of the Health and Social Care System (HSC) to the Recommendations in the COPNI report “Home Truths.”
DoH Permanent Secretary, Richard Pengelly has made clear that the system is committed to responding positively to the Commissioner’s report and to addressing the crucial issues facing our care system.
“As our response to the Commissioner’s recommendations makes clear, we have taken this report very seriously, and have set out a package of measures that we will now take forward. Senior leaders in the HSC are absolutely determined to address the issues identified by the Commissioner and, critically, to deliver meaningful improvements on the ground.
“While we will now work to deliver against these commitments, it must be recognised that, in the absence of Ministers, there are a number of recommendations which we are unable to action. However, the public should be assured that we are giving these issues due consideration and we will provide appropriate advice on these to any incoming Minister.
“When apologising for the failings of the system, I made clear that action would follow. The publication of our response today demonstrates our drive to do better.”
The Department and HSC colleagues will now begin work on an implementation plan on those recommendations that can now be progressed.
In parallel, the Department has also commissioned an independent review into the actions of the HSC around Dunmurry Manor Care Home, this review is ongoing.
Notes to editors:
- Copies of the responses are available to download.
- For media enquiries please contact the Department of Health Press Office team on 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Swann welcomes ‘positive step forward’ on pay settlement 26 February 2024
- Health Minister praises GPs for commitment to student training 26 February 2024
- Appointment of council members to the Patient & Client Council 23 February 2024
- Swann sets out waiting list task 20 February 2024