The Department is disappointed by the announcement today that Junior Doctors in NI will be balloted for industrial action.
In a meeting this afternoon with the Department, the BMA Junior Doctors’ Committee representatives set out their call for an above inflation pay award for 2023/24 in addition to a commitment to restore pay to 2008 comparative levels.
The Department reiterated the position regarding the ongoing absence of pay offers for 2023/24.
The reality is that implementing the pay offered in England for Agenda for Change health and social care staff, and implementing the recommendations of the Review Body on Doctors’ and Dentists’ Remuneration, would require large scale cuts to services on an unprecedented scale, with severe and lasting implications for health and social care provision.
The Department does not have the authority to make such cutbacks in the absence of a Minister. We also do not believe junior doctors or any other part of the health and social care workforce would want us to implement such measures.
The Department fully understands the deep-seated frustrations over the absence of pay offers.
We recognise that this is not a sustainable position and remain committed to pursuing all avenues to help achieve a resolution.
The Department respects the right of every individual to take industrial action. However, doing so at this time - with no route to a successful resolution currently available - would only further add to already severe pressures on services.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Life expectancy in Northern Ireland 2020-22 06 December 2023
- Local pharmacies can help with Urinary Tract Infections 05 December 2023
- New era for pharmacist education 04 December 2023
- Publication of the quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 30 September 2023 30 November 2023