The Department of Health has announced an extension of the consultation period on the draft Strategic Framework for Imaging Services to Monday 22nd January 2018.
There has been significant growth in the scope, complexity and application of medical imaging over the last 30 years. Timely and accurate imaging plays a vital role in ensuring patients are appropriately diagnosed, treated and monitored. In the four main services of MRI, CT, non-obstetric ultrasound and X-rays there were over 1.5million examinations commissioned in 2016/17. Based on current performance this is expected to rise to around 1.8million in 2017/18.
A number of important recommendations have been made in the draft Strategic Framework including, investment in training, workforce planning, timely referral pathways, and, information technology systems designed to provide high quality information. The recommendations are aimed at ensuring imaging services remain safe, effective and sustainable in the long term.
Proposals for modernising imaging services come at a time of considerable reform in health and social and the Health and Social Care transformation agenda, “Health and Wellbeing 2026: Delivering Together”, places a high priority on developing a new approach to the planning and delivery of imaging services.
Everyone with an interest in medical imaging services is encouraged to have their say on the proposals and help to influence the way imaging services are planned and delivered in the future.
The consultation was launched on 26th October 2017 and will now close on Monday 22 January 2018.
Notes to editors:
1. The Draft Strategic Framework consultation can be accessed on the Department’s website.
2. For media queries please contact the Department of Health Press Office on 028 9052 0575 or email email@example.com. For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Extension of appointment of the Non-Executive Chair of the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust 19 October 2018
- Healthcare Hub to transform services for the homeless 18 October 2018
- Availability of EpiPen® and EpiPen Junior® - Updated DoH Statement 18 October 2018
- Social workers need to be poverty aware says NI’s Chief Social Worker 17 October 2018