The Department of Health is seeking to appoint a Non-Executive Chair to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS).
The Board of NIFRS comprises the Chief Fire and Rescue Officer, a Non-Executive Chair and 10 other Non-Executive Members appointed by the Department.
Peter May, Permanent Secretary at the Department of Health, said: “The role of NIFRS Chair is both challenging and rewarding. This is an exceptional opportunity for a person with effective leadership skills to share their talents and expertise to make a positive difference to the lives of people in Northern Ireland.
NIFRS protects and serves the entire population of NI, an area of over 5,500 square miles providing them with a range of fire and rescue services. Under the 2006 Order, the Fire Safety Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010, and the Fire and Rescue Services (Emergencies) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011, NIFRS responds to fires, road traffic collisions and other emergencies including chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear incidents, search and rescue incidents, serious flooding and serious transport incidents.
A range of community engagement initiatives are provided to help reduce risk and keep people safe from the dangers of fire and other types of incidents that we respond to. The organisation has a dedicated Regional Control Centre where all the Fire 999 calls for NI are answered and Fire Crews mobilised to respond. NIFRS has 68 Fire Stations across NI utilising a variety of crewing models using Whole-time, On-Call and Volunteer Firefighters.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 12:00 noon BST Friday 31 March 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
Notes to editors:
1. Information booklets and application forms can be provided in alternative formats and applicants who require assistance will be facilitated on request.
2. For further information and an application form:
Visit current vacancies on the Department of Health website;
Telephone: 02890 378793 or 02890 765793 (Monday – Friday between 9.00am and 5.00pm), or
Write to: DoH Public Appointments, Room 16, Annexe 1, Castle Buildings, Stormont Estate, Belfast BT4 3SQ.
3. For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
5. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Quarterly Carers Statistics for Northern Ireland (April – June 2023) 22 September 2023
- Extension to the terms of appointment of two Non-executive Directors to the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service 22 September 2023
- Unused medicines cost Northern Ireland health system £18m per year 20 September 2023
- Department of Health statement 18 September 2023