More than 3,000 patients who were red flagged as suspected skin cancer patients were identified via the use of camera technology in GP practices between March and December last year.
The Dermatology Photo Triage referral pathway involves the use of a camera to take high quality pictures of a patient’s skin irregularity or mole at their initial appointment with the GP. These images are then sent electronically to a skin specialist at a hospital. It means a patient is able, through the use of technology, to obtain a rapid diagnosis and treatment plan from a consultant without having to attend a hospital.
From March to December 2022, a total of 3,314 referrals were made to Dermatology services in the five Health and Social Care Trusts via this pathway.
Of these, 3159 patients were red flagged, with the rest classified as urgent, routine or discharged with advice.
Permanent Secretary Peter May said: “These figures show how successful this pathway has been in identifying patients who have early symptoms of skin cancer. It has the additional benefit that patients can be seen at their GP without having to go to hospital.”
96% of GP practices in Northern Ireland have signed up to provide this service.
Dr Peter McHugh, from the GP West Belfast Federation commented: “My experience with the photo triage process has been really positive with responses to referrals within days. It is the most positive change to referral process that I have encountered.”
The Dermatology Photo Triage referral pathway started as a pilot in 2018 and has now been rolled out across GP practices in Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of “Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (October – December 2022)” 23 March 2023
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Children’s Court Guardian Agency for Northern Ireland 22 March 2023
- NHS 75 - Chief Social Worker blog 21 March 2023
- NHS 75 - Chief Professional Officers' blog 21 March 2023