Health Minister, Simon Hamilton today announced the appointment of a Non-Executive Director to the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust (BHSCT).
Ms Miriam Karp was appointed as Non-Executive Lay Director, with effect from 1 September 2015 for a period of four years.
These appointments carry a time commitment of one day per week and may involve commitment both inside and outside normal working hours. The Non-Executive Director posts of the Belfast Trust attract an annual remuneration of £7,960.
The BHSCT is one of five HSC Trusts established in 2007 responsible for the delivery of responsive and effective health and care services and for the ownership and management of hospitals and other establishments and facilities. Each Health and Social Care (HSC) Trust in Northern Ireland is managed directly by a Board of Directors which has corporate responsibility for its operation.
The Board is made up of five executive Directors and seven non-executive directors and a non-executive chair. Executive directors and non-executive directors are full and equal members of the Board.
This appointment was made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. A selection panel, which included an Independent Assessor, as required under the Commissioner’s Code, considered the suitability of all candidates. The final decision on the appointment rested with the Minister.
Notes to editors:
- Appointment Ms Miriam Karp - Ms Karp is currently employed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council as a Fitness To Practise Hearings Chair, the General Medical Council and the NI Pharmaceutical Society as a Fitness To Practise Panellist, NI Medical and Dental Training Agency as a Lay Representative, and a Panellist with the Exceptional Circumstances Body (Tribunal). She has previously been a Non Executive Director with the Public Health Agency, the NI Social Care Council and the General Teaching Council for NI.
- This appointment was made with the approval of the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Ms Karp has declared that she has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- Media enquiries to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0579. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Quarterly Carers Statistics for Northern Ireland (April – June 2023) 22 September 2023
- Extension to the terms of appointment of two Non-executive Directors to the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service 22 September 2023
- Unused medicines cost Northern Ireland health system £18m per year 20 September 2023
- Department of Health statement 18 September 2023