About NICE Interventional Procedures Programme
The NICE Interventional Procedures Programme assess the safety and efficacy of new interventional procedures. It aims to protect the safety of patients and to support clinicians, healthcare organisations and the NHS as a whole in managing clinical innovation responsibly.
Since 1st January 2007, the Department has been a participant in the NICE Interventional Procedures Programme, which enables local healthcare professionals who are considering using a new interventional procedure to have it assessed by NICE. The arrangements for how to do this are set out in the following circular:
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) The Interventional Procedures Programme - HSC (SQSD) 14/22
For information, details of the previous arrangement can be found in the following circular:
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) The Interventional Procedures Programme - HSC (SQSD) 4/14
A flowchart had been developed which sets out the steps which should be taken when considering using a new interventional procedure:
As part of current arrangements, the Department issues bi-monthly communication to the HSC detailing the latest Interventional Procedures published by NICE.
Since NICE started the Interventional Procedures Programme, they have determined that the following procedures should NOT BE USED:
- IPG070 - Scleral expansion surgery for presbyopia
- IPG225 - Corneal implants for the correction of refractive error
- IPG234 - Laraposcopic uterine nerve ablation (LUNA) for chronic pelvic pain
- IPG241 - Soft-palate implants for obstructive sleep apnoea
- IPG301 - Transmyocardial laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris
- IPG302 - Percutaneous laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris
- IPG593 - Intramuscular diaphragm stimulation for ventilator-dependent chronic respiratory failure caused by motor neurone disease
- IPG596 - Extracranial to intracranial bypass for intracranial atherosclerosis
- IPG621 - Low-intensity pulsed ultrasound to promote healing of fresh fractures at low risk of non-healing (updates & replaces IPG374)
- IPG632 - Transcranial MRI-guided focused ultrasound thalamotomy for neuropathic pain
- IPG640 - Percutaneous venoplasty for chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis
- IPG647 - Therapeutic hypothermia for acute ischaemic stroke
- IPG686 - Minimally invasive radical hysterectomy for early stage cervical cancer - ''DO NOT USE'' - HSC (SQSD) (NICE IPG686) 2/21
- IPG703 - Laparoscopic removal of uterine fibroids with power morcellation
Further information on Interventional Procedures Programme can be found on the NICE Website.