The Healthy Start website includes information on how to apply.
Healthy Start is a UK-wide scheme providing a nutritional safety net to those who are pregnant and children under four in low-income families in receipt of qualifying benefits. All those who are pregnant and under-18 years of age qualify, whether or not they are in receipt of benefits.
Healthy Start supports public health policies by encouraging breastfeeding and a healthy diet.
DoH is responsible for the legislation of Healthy Start policy in Northern Ireland.
Day Care Food Scheme
Under the 'Day Care Food Scheme' all children under five who are in an approved day care setting for at least two hours per day are provided one third of a pint of milk free each day.
DoH is responsible for the legislation governing the scheme in Northern Ireland. The Business Services Organisation (BSO) administrates the scheme on the department's behalf.
- Healthy Start
- Healthy Start - Do I qualify? How to apply
- Healthy Start - Guidance for Health professionals
- Free resources to promote the scheme
- Information on how to claim vitamins
- Day Care Food Scheme
- nidirect - Free milk, vitamins, fruit and vegetables and infant formula
- nidirect - Nutrition and school lunches