The paper sets out the key lessons for successful implementation of a statutory duty of candour, including:
- Clarity around definitions;
- Ensuring a person-centred process;
- Minimising bureaucracy;
- Distinguishing between regret and an apology;
- Robust monitoring and compliance; and
- A system to deal with breaches of the duty.
The paper includes a leaflet by the Care Quality Commission, England’s health and social care regulator, on what the English statutory duty means for patients and their families