Health Minister Michelle O’Neill MLA, today announced the award of two significant contracts for further investment at Altnagelvin - a new North Wing Ward Block to replace the ageing tower block wards and major upgrade works to Day Surgery Theatres.
The Minister confirmed the appointment of Northstone (NI) Ltd as the contractor to build the new North Wing building at Altnagelvin Area Hospital. This is part of a £73.5m project at the Altnagelvin site which will incorporate six inpatient ward areas, a new main entrance to the hospital and relocation of the car parking facilities. The North Wing building is scheduled to complete in December 2019.
The Minister also confirmed the appointment of TAL Ltd as the contractor to provide new Day Surgery Theatres at Altnagelvin Hospital. This separate £3.3m project, which is planned to become operational from January 2018, will involve the refurbishment of existing theatre space and redesign of services. It will provide additional daycase theatre capacity to address immediate theatre pressures at Altnagelvin Hospital.
Commenting on the announcements, the Minister said: “I welcome the award of both contracts for these construction works at Altnagelvin Area Hospital. This significant investment by the Executive will deliver a first class, state of the art facility for patients and families in Derry and the North West and will create a fit for purpose working environment for staff in Altnagelvin.
“These new facilities are important to ensure that patients have access to high quality health care delivered in a modern clinical and therapeutic environment, and to enhance operating theatre infrastructure capacity at Altnagelvin which will help to address the current waiting times for surgery.”
Commenting on announcement, Elaine Way Chief Executive of the Western Health and Social Care Trust (Western Trust) said: “The Western Trust is delighted that the contractor has been appointed and we now look forward to this exciting next stage of the redevelopment of Altnagelvin Hospital. This new building is the first phase of the major development to upgrade accommodation for all inpatient services currently located in the Tower Block of the hospital. The site for the North Wing is beside the existing hospital Tower Block and we have already undertaken some enabling works to facilitate the construction. This has included relocating some buildings and the construction of a new multi-storey car park which opened in October 2015. These are exciting times for the hospital following the completion of the £66m Radiotherapy Unit and now the North Wing. The Trust is delighted to be able to deliver services from the most modern patient centred facilities.”
Notes to editors:
- In July 2013, the Department approved the business case for the North Wing Development at a capital investment of £73.5m, including enabling works to clear the site for the new building. Capital investment of £3.3m for the new Day Surgery Theatres project was approved in November 2016.
- The contracts have been awarded for the North Wing Building and Day Surgery Theatres at values of £36.0m and £1.9m respectively.
- The Day Surgery Theatres project will become operational in January 2018 and North Wing building will be completed by December 2019.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0575, or email email@example.com For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow on Twitter @healthdpt
- Quarterly Carers Statistics for Northern Ireland (April – June 2023) 22 September 2023
- Extension to the terms of appointment of two Non-executive Directors to the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service 22 September 2023
- Unused medicines cost Northern Ireland health system £18m per year 20 September 2023
- Department of Health statement 18 September 2023