Health Minister Robin Swann has strongly warned against complacency over the COVID-19 Omicron variant.
The Minister emphasised that Omicron poses a significant threat to health and social care services.
The Omicron variant is now dominant in Northern Ireland, accounting for a majority of new COVID-19 infections.
The Minister said: “There remains a great deal of uncertainty about Omicron. Some early research from Great Britain suggests it may be less severe than the Delta variant in terms of the proportion of infected people who require treatment in hospital.
“More information is still required and the findings are not definitive. I must emphasise that this early research definitely does not mean that Omicron should be taken any less seriously.
“It is much more infectious than Delta and will therefore lead to much greater levels of infection. Even with a lower proportion being hospitalised, if the number of cases rises to very high levels, the number of Covid in-patients will increase as well. Pressure on our hospitals could therefore be significantly increased.
“In addition, Omicron has largely spread to date among young people and more data is still required on its full impact - including potential hospitalisation rates among older people.
“Furthermore, widespread transmission in the community will inevitably lead to more staff absences in essential services. That has the potential to seriously impact health and social care provision.
“It is therefore absolutely vital that we don’t let our guard down or be swayed by uninformed talk on social media.
“We must keep doing all we can to protect each other and limit the spread of Omicron. Get boosted as soon as you can. If you are not yet vaccinated, please don’t delay any further.
“If we all keep making safer choices in our daily lives, we can help push infection rates down.”
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 27 January 2023
- Extensions to the terms of five interim authority members of the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority 27 January 2023
- Emergency Care Waiting Time Statistics (October - December 2022) 26 January 2023
- Publication of “Domiciliary Care Services for Adults in Northern Ireland (2022)” 24 January 2023