An interim Report on the development of future neurology services across Northern Ireland has been published today.
The Report which is an update of the Regional Review of Neurology Services outlines work already underway to drive improvement and gives an overview of the workstreams established to inform the development of the optimal service configuration for neurology services for the next 10-15 years. The interim report also sets out the principles and standards which the Neurology Review Team has agreed should underpin the development of future neurology services.
The Permanent Secretary of the Department of Health Richard Pengelly said: “Long term neurological conditions are common in Northern Ireland and it is clear that current neurology services are struggling to meet the needs of people with such conditions. It is therefore vital that this Review identifies the actions needed to improve neurology services.”
There are approximately 15,000 people diagnosed with epilepsy, 4,600 with multiple sclerosis, 3,700 with Parkinson’s disease, 910 adults with inherited or acquired neuromuscular disease and 140 people with Motor Neurone Disease.
Mr Pengelly continued: “The publication of the interim report is a positive development and I am grateful for the ongoing commitment and dedication of colleagues in the neurology service as we seek to address the strategic challenges ahead. The Department is committed to ensuring that the voice of service users and carers is central to the review and we will be outlining opportunities for them to share their views with the Neurology Review Team in the coming weeks.
“I look forward to working with colleagues as we progress the design of neurology services in Northern Ireland to ensure an enhanced and strengthened service provision for future generations to come.”
The Report is available at https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/rns
A final report is scheduled for spring 2020.
If you would like further information on the review, you can contact us at Neurology.Review@health-ni.gov.uk or telephone 028 9076 5643
Notes to editors:
- In light of pressures within the neurology service, on 19 December 2018, the Department published terms of reference for the Regional Review of Neurology Services. These are available to view at https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/publications/review-neurology-services-terms-reference. A Neurology Review Team was established to take the review forward.
- For media queries please contact the Department of Health Press Office on 028 9052 0575 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Testing of a patient in Northern Ireland has resulted in a presumptive positive test for coronavirus (Covid-19) 28 February 2020
- Publication of the Quarterly Northern Ireland Waiting Times Statistics - Position at 31 December 2019 27 February 2020
- Health Minister statement on waiting time statistics 27 February 2020
- Health Minister joins UK summit to tackle drug deaths 27 February 2020