The Department of Health continues to closely monitor the Clifton Nursing Home situation and is being regularly updated on proposals for a new provider to take over the running of the home. Those discussions are not yet concluded.
It is hoped the plans will result in residents having the choice of remaining in the home under the care of a new management team – should that be their preferred option.
This is a very distressing time for residents and their families. This is a matter of great regret.
The decision announced on Friday on relocating residents was unavoidable, given the situation on the ground. It came after sustained work by the HSC system to support the home, care for residents, and seek necessary improvements in management.
There was insufficient evidence that required changes were being addressed by the home’s management with the necessary urgency and thoroughness. Consequently, Belfast Trust, the Health and Social Care Board, the Public Health Agency and the Department were in agreement that the situation was unsustainable due to the risk to residents.
Friday’s announcement has now led to an alternative provider coming forward with a potential solution.
Taking action on a failing care home is always highly sensitive and challenging. There will be concerns on the one hand that action could be premature, while others will argue that it should have been taken earlier.
The safety and best interests of residents and their families must always be paramount.
The Department and Minister are assured that the HSC system is working very hard to put things right at Clifton Nursing Home.
Notes to editors:
- The Belfast Health and Social Care Trust helpline for relatives has extended its opening hours until 10pm tonight. The helpline number is 028 9615 6060.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Don’t think Leicester’s lockdown couldn’t happen here 10 July 2020
- ‘Contact tracing to become part of everyday life’ 10 July 2020
- Trust rebuilding plans published 10 July 2020
- Current estimate of R Number 09 July 2020