The Department of Health (DoH) has today published high level children’s social care statistics in relation to number of children who are currently on the Child Protection Register and number of children who are currently in care (looked after children).
Key Facts and Figures:
- These figures are marked as provisional and subject to change.
- On Monday 18 May 2020, there were 2,361 children on the Child Protection Register and 3,397 children in care in Northern Ireland.
- It is expected that DoH will update these figures weekly for the duration of the Covid-19 pandemic. The figures are published on the Department's website.
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within DoH.
- Published figures are provisional and subject to change.
- Statistics detailed within the statistical release include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register and number of children in care at the date stated.
- Definitions and data sources are set out within the publication.
This publication is available on the Department's website.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2
Stormont Belfast BT4 3SQ
Telephone: (028) 9052 8446
Fax: (028) 9052 3288
Internet: Department of Health
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- Publication of “Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2022)” 23 September 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 23 September 2022
- Extension to the term of a Non-Executive (Lay) Director of the Northern Health and Social Care Trust 23 September 2022
- Health Minister welcomes roll out of vaccination programme 21 September 2022