Health Minister Robin Swann has announced a 25% enhancement in the fee paid to dentists for the provision of dentures.
The increase, which is a further recurring investment of £1.2m per annum in general dental services, is intended to offset the rise in costs associated with the provision of this vital service.
Minister Swann said: “There is no doubt that challenges remain in terms of delivering high quality general dental services; and I am very grateful to the dental teams across Northern Ireland for their ongoing commitment to patients.
“I know that practices are dealing with higher costs in recent months, and I have committed to providing support where possible to sustain and protect essential services.
“I am pleased therefore to be able to enhance denture fees to help practices provide this important service, particularly given that denture provision may be more common within adults from lower socio-economic groups.”
Chief Dental Officer, Caroline Lappin said: “Oral health in Northern Ireland has significantly improved, with more of us keeping our natural teeth for longer. However, tooth loss due to dental decay and gum disease is common among the most vulnerable groups in our society, so ensuring access to dentures, which help with eating, talking and quality of life is an important oral health intervention.”
The increase comes into effect from the final quarter of 2022/23.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Swann sets out waiting list task 20 February 2024
- Health Minister writes to the BMA Junior Doctors Committee 20 February 2024
- Increase in funded IVF provision 15 February 2024
- CAMHS Waiting Time Statistics for Northern Ireland (December 2023) 14 February 2024