The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) has today published ‘Patient Education / Self Management Programmes for People with Long Term Conditions 2014/15’.
This publication of annual figures relates to Patient Education / Self Management Programmes in Northern Ireland.
Key Facts and Figures
- In 2014/15, 13,069 participants availed of a patient education / self management programme. This is a 6% (684) increase on the number of participants recorded during 2013/14 (12,385);
- Out of the 13,069, 60% of participants at a patient education / self management programme were attending a programme provided by one of the five HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland. This was up 4 percentage points from 56% in 2013/14;
- There were 40 different programme types in place across Northern Ireland during 2014/15; this is up 11% (4) on those in place during 2013/14 (36);
- The 40 patient education / self management programmes were provided a total of 856 times in 2014/15, an increase of 7% (54) on the number in 2013/14 (802);
- Of those programmes provided during 2014/15, 713 were condition specific programmes and 143 were generic programmes. In 2013/14 these figures were 719 and 83 respectively;
- The number of participants attending a programme specifically for cardiac, COPD, Type 1 diabetes or Type 2 diabetes in 2014/15 was 7,474. This was a 20% (1,234) increase on the number of participants at programmes for the same conditions in 2013/14 (6,240).
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DHSSPS.
- Statistics detailed within the bulletin present information on patient education / self management programmes for long term conditions collected from Health & Social Care (HSC) Trusts and independent sector programme providers. It details information on the type, provision, frequency and Trust area of the programmes delivered during the year 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015.
- This publication is available online.
- Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 528134
Fax: (028) 90 523288
Internet: Department of Health
- Media enquiries about this press release to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0074, or out of office hours contact to Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @HealthServiceNI
- Publication of Weekly Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Deliveries, Northern Ireland: W/E 6 March to W/E 31 July 2020 12 August 2020
- Appointment of five Non-Executive Members to the Health And Social Care Board 12 August 2020
- Help ‘StopCOVID’ in its tracks 11 August 2020
- Swann: “Increasing number of COVID-19 cases a concern” 11 August 2020