A patient who tested positive for Covid-19 has sadly died in a hospital in Northern Ireland.
The patient was elderly, had an underlying medical condition and was being treated in a hospital in the greater Belfast area.
Health Minister Robin Swann said: “I want to express my deep sadness at this death and send my condolences to the patient’s family and friends. It is, of course, essential that we respect their privacy at this sad time.
I would once again appeal to everyone to play their part in fighting the spread of this virus.”
Notes to editors:
- Detailed information and advice on coronavirus is available from the Public Health Agency
- Media queries to Department for Health Information Office on 028 9052 0636. Out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- NI playing its part in NHS Covid-19 clinical trials 07 April 2020
- Health Minister visits Northern Ireland’s first Nightingale Hospital 07 April 2020
- Ministers for Health agree Memorandum of Understanding between Irish Government and Northern Ireland Executive 07 April 2020
- Temporary pause of routine screening programmes 07 April 2020