Health Minister Robin Swann has confirmed that the SSE Arena will be used as a vaccination centre for Northern Ireland’s adult population.
It is anticipated the SSE Arena will open in April as a facility for those 60 and under, not already vaccinated through the trust or GP programmes.
The Minister said: “The mass vaccination centre at the SSE Arena signals yet another significant step forward in the roll out of the vaccination programme across Northern Ireland. The programme is continuing at pace and we are likely to begin vaccinating priority group 7, followed quickly by all other priority groups, starting in early April. This will see everyone aged 60 and under being offered the vaccine – a monumental next step in a population-wide vaccination programme.”
In addition to the SSE Arena, Trusts will continue to operate large vaccination centres across Northern Ireland with GPs running local vaccination clinics. Access will then be opened further with community pharmacies providing vaccinations on the high street.
The vaccination programme recently opened to all carers aged 18 and over who are the main carer for someone elderly or disabled. There is currently no definitive list of carers and there are many unpaid carers delivering a vital service in society.
The Minister said: “There are many elderly or disabled people who rely on carers to look after them and their welfare would be a risk if their carer took ill. We must continue to protect the most vulnerable from the effects of Covid. That includes doing the right thing and waiting your turn.”
Notes to editors:
- The vaccination programme plan is available on the Department's website.
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Health Minister announces extension of consultation on adult safeguarding 05 March 2021
- Advance Care Planning Policy for Adults in Northern Ireland 05 March 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 20 - 26 February 2021 05 March 2021
- Mother and Baby and Magdalene Laundry Institutions – Truth Recovery Design Team Announced 04 March 2021