Health Minister Simon Hamilton today announced that £1.5million will be made available to allow for the recruitment of 35 posts that need to be in place to facilitate the opening of the Altnagelvin Radiotherapy Centre in autumn 2016.
The 35 posts across a range of highly skilled specialisms are absolutely required to support the opening of the Centre.
The Minister said: “The commencement of the recruitment process for these posts is a key milestone on the critical path to the Centre’s opening. I am pleased to be able to announce today that I have given approval to proceed with recruitment.
“These highly skilled staff will have a central role in providing the expertise to enable us to provide safe, sustainable and high quality radiotherapy services at the Altnagelvin Hospital.
“On a recent visit I was delighted to see this development going forward and I would like to thank all those involved in the hard work that has brought this vision into reality. It will allow patients to be able to get the highest quality complex radiotherapy treatments without facing lengthy journeys.”
When fully operational, the Radiotherapy Unit at Altnagelvin will be able to treat approximately 1,150 Northern Ireland patients and 385 Republic of Ireland patients each year.
Notes to editors:
1. The total capital investment of Radiotherapy Unit is £66.1million including a €19million contribution from RoI. The unit will be completed and operational in 2016.
2. The posts will be advertised shortly.
3. Media enquiries about this press release to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0575, or out of office hours contact to Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.ý Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Reappointment of two Non-Executive Directors to the Public Health Agency 09 July 2019
- Complaints and Compliments received by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland 2018-19 04 July 2019
- Transformation fund continues to support much-needed change 04 July 2019
- Extension to terms of Office for Non-Executive Chair and Six Non-Executive Members of the Northern Ireland Practice and Education Council for Nursing and Midwifery 02 July 2019