The Department of Health has announced the reappointment of five Non-Executive Directors to the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust (BHSCT).
Professor Martin Bradley, Ms Anne O’Reilly, Mrs Nuala McKeagney, Dr Patrick Loughran and Ms Miriam Karp are reappointed for a maximum period of four years. Professor Bradley and Mrs McKeagney’s appointments commenced on 18 May 2019 and will run to a date not later than 17 May 2023. Ms O’Reilly and Dr Loughran will be appointed from 1 July 2019 to a date not later than 30 June 2023, and Ms Karp’s appointment will run from 1 September 2019 to a date not later than 31 August 2023.
The Non-Executive Director role attracts a remuneration of £8,201 per annum and carries a time commitment of 1 day per week.
The BHSCT is one of five Health and Social Care (HSC) Trusts established in 2007 responsible for the delivery of responsive and effective health and care services and for the ownership and management of hospitals and other establishments and facilities.
Each HSC Trust is managed directly by a Board of Directors which has corporate responsibility for its operation. The Board consists of the Chairman, the Chief Executive, seven Non-Executive Directors and five Executive directors. Executive directors and Non-Executive Directors are full and equal members of the Board.
The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for NI.
Notes to editors:
- Professor Martin Bradley was appointed Non-Executive Director with effect from 18 May 2015. He has previously held the positions of Chief Nursing Officer in the Western HSS Board from 1997 – 2003, Director, Royal College of Nursing (Northern Ireland) 2003 - 2005 and Chief Nursing Officer within the Department of Health Social Services and Public Safety 2005 - 2011. Prof Bradley is also involved in voluntary work as the Chair of the Down & Connor Committee of the Irish Bishops Drug Initiative. He is a visiting Professor of Nursing at the Ulster University, a Fellow of the Royal College of Nursing, a Fellow of the Queens Nursing Institute and an Honorary Master of the Open University. In 2013 he was awarded the OBE for services to nursing in the UK and is a Deputy Lieutenant for the County Borough of Belfast.
- Ms Anne O’Reilly was appointed as a Non-Executive Director with effect from 1 July 2015. She has over 25 years’ experience as CEO and Senior Manager of a range of voluntary organisations working with older people and women and children. She is a professional foster carer, sits on the board as a volunteer director of two local women's sector organisations, and is also a non-executive director of the NI Social Care Council.
- Mrs Nuala McKeagney was appointed as a Non-Executive Director with effect from 18 May 2015 and is currently a Director of Blueprint Development Consultancy Ltd, a consultancy business she co-founded 20 years ago. Prior to this Mrs McKeagney worked as Economic Development Manager within Belfast City Council. She holds a BSc in Economics, a Masters in Business Administration and a Diploma in Company Direction from the Institute of Directors. She is a director on a range of voluntary and private sector boards.
- Dr Patrick Loughran was appointed as a Non-Executive Director with effect from 1 July 2015. He has many years’ experience within local health and social care, including working as a Consultant Anaesthetist and as the Medical Director for the Southern Health and Social Care Trust until 2011. He also has experience in providing governance advice within the health service in the Republic of Ireland. He is currently involved in voluntary work through the St Vincent de Paul Society, and as a trustee with the Southern Area Hospice in Newry.
- Ms Miriam Karp works in Health Regulation as a Tribunal member of the Medical Practitioners Tribunal, Fitness to Practise Chair for the Nursing and Midwifery Council and Tribunal Member of the Exceptional Circumstances Body, Department of Education. She has previously been a Non-Executive Director of the Public Health Agency, the Northern Ireland Social Care Council, the Northern Ireland Teaching Council and a Lay Representative with the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. All appointees declared they had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- Media enquiries to DoH Press Office on 02890 520575 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 02890 378110.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- Regional Launch of Primary Care Multi-Disciplinary Team Programme 15 October 2019
- Extensions to Appointments of Non-Executive Chair and Two Non-Executive Members of the Northern Ireland Guardian Ad Litem Agency 15 October 2019
- Publication of ‘Children’s Social Care Statistics for NI 2018/19’ 10 October 2019
- Action Plan for child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) 10 October 2019