Health Minister Michelle O’Neill today announced the re-appointment of Dr Jim Livingstone as a Non-Executive Director in the NI Ambulance Service (NIAS) for a four year term from 1 November 2016 to 31 October 2020.
The board of NIAS is made up of five Executive and five Non-Executive Directors (with an overall maximum of 10) plus a Non-Executive Chair.
The role of the Trust Board is to:
- set the strategic direction of NIAS within the overall policies and priorities of the Health and Personal Social Services (HPSS), define its annual and longer term objectives, and agree plans to achieve them
- oversee the delivery of planned results by monitoring performance against objectives and ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary
- ensure effective financial stewardship through value for money, budgetary control, planning and strategy
- ensure high standards of corporate governance and personal behaviour are maintained in the conduct of the business of the whole organisation
- appoint, appraise and remunerate Senior Executives
- ensure that there is effective dialogue and communications between NIAS and the local community on its plans and performance, and that these are responsive to the community’s needs
NIAS Non-Executive Director appointments carry a time commitment of one day per week and attract an annual remuneration of £5,962
The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for NI. A selection panel, which included an Independent Assessor as required by the Commissioner’s Code, considered the suitability of all candidates. The final decision on the appointment rested with the Minister.
Notes to editors:
1. Dr Jim Livingstone was first appointed as a Non-Executive Director of the NIAS Trust Board in November 2012. He was also appointed as President of the Pharmaceutical Society NI in October 2014. After graduating with an honours degree and PhD in psychology at Queen’s University Belfast, he joined the NI Civil Service in October 1979 and was promoted to Principal Statistician in the Department of Education, later serving in that Department as Head of Information Services, Head of Financial Planning and Head of Private Finance. In 2002 he was appointed Director of Primary Care at the Department of Health and also served as Director of Infrastructure Investment with responsibility for capital investment in health and social care services. From June 2008 he served as Director of Safety Quality & Standards before retiring from the NI Civil Service in October 2012. He is an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and in 1997 was co-President of the European Congress of Psychology.
2. The appointment was made with the approval of the Minister for Health. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. Dr Livingstone has declared he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
4. Media enquiries about this press release to DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0505, or out of office hours contact to Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Extension to term of Office of a Non-Executive Member of the Patient and Client Council 17 July 2019
- Reappointment of two Non-Executive Directors to the Public Health Agency 09 July 2019
- Complaints and Compliments received by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland 2018-19 04 July 2019
- Transformation fund continues to support much-needed change 04 July 2019