The Department of Health has published the current Covid-19 reproduction number (R).
The current estimate of R is 0.6 – 0.9 which has remained steady since last week and is helping the Executive in its decision making today.
As of 21 June, the seven-day rolling average of new cases is 2. In the past seven days (from 18 June) there have been four deaths reported.
It is important to model the COVID-19 epidemic in Northern Ireland in order to plan the delivery of Health and Social Care services and to inform decision making with regard to social distancing and other restrictions.
Central to this modelling is estimating the Reproduction Number (R). R is the number of individuals who, on average, will be infected by a single infected person.
There are different ways of calculating R and a number of different values for R each day are produced. That is why the number is being published in the form of banding.
The Executive has indicated that keeping R below 1 is a key objective as we move forward in the epidemic.
However, when community transmission of the virus is very low, R will no longer be the most important number in relation to the status of the epidemic. In particular, once the number of new cases is sufficiently low in the presence of a robust testing programme and test/trace/protect strategy, number of positive tests per day is likely to be a more important measure.
Notes to editors:
- R is not the only factor which will influence decisions about social distancing and other restrictions. It is also necessary to consider the number of cases of COVID-19 and other indicators of the activity of the epidemic, in addition to the benefits which would come from relaxing restrictions.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Children’s services a key priority - Swann 26 October 2020
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 3 October -16 October 2020 23 October 2020
- Postponed cancer procedures deeply disturbing 23 October 2020
- Shielding to remain paused 23 October 2020