The Department of Health has today published ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI (October – December 2016)’
Key Facts and Figures:
Child Protection Register
- at 31 December 2016, 2,206 children were listed on the Child Protection Register, representing a 2% decrease on the previous quarter and an increase of 5% on the previous year
- taking account of local demographics, register counts per 10,000 children’s population (under 18), ranged from 46.7 in the Western HSC Trust to 58.5 in the Southern HSC Trust; overall there were 50.8 children per 10,000 on the register
- Four out of five (79%) children were on the register due to physical abuse, neglect or a combination of physical abuse and neglect
- some 69% of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 September 2016 had been on the register for less than one year with 3% of children on the register for three years or longer
Child Protection Referrals
- HSC Trusts received 973 child protection referrals during the quarter ending 31 December 2016. This was 5% higher than the previous quarter, and 2% below the number of referrals for the same quarter in 2015
- The largest proportion of referrals, 48%, originated from within Social Services, followed by the police with 16%
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
- This bulletin is the twenty fifth quarterly reporting of Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI.
- Statistics detailed within the bulletin include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register at 31 December 2016, by legal status, age, category of abuse and duration on the Register, and numbers of Child Protection Referrals by source of referral during the third quarter of 2016/17.
- Statistics for the quarter ending 31 March 2017 are due for publication in May 2017. Please note that following a consultation exercise in 2015 these statistics are now published in table format only.
- The publication schedule for statistics produced by the Department of Health is available online.
- This publication is available online.
- Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 520599
Fax: (028) 90 523288
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Publication of ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI (April – June 2017)’ 17 August 2017
- Lisburn shop owner convicted for illegal sales of prescription medicines 15 August 2017
- 2017 Northern Ireland Sight Test and Ophthalmic Public Health Survey Report 04 August 2017
- Release of Northern Ireland inpatient, day case and outpatient hospital statistics for 2016/17 03 August 2017