The Department of Health has today published ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI (July – September 2017)’
Key Facts and Figures:
Child Protection Register
- at 30 September 2017, 2,115 children were listed on the Child Protection Register, representing a 3% increase on the previous quarter and a decrease of 6% on the previous year
- taking account of local demographics, register counts per 10,000 children’s population (under 18), ranged from 40.8 in the Northern HSC Trust to 58.2 in the Southern HSC Trust; overall there were 48.6 children per 10,000 on the register
- four out of five (81%) children were on the register due to physical abuse, neglect or a combination of physical abuse and neglect
- some 68% of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 September 2017 had been on the register for less than one year with 2% of children on the register for three years or longer
Child Protection Referrals
- HSC Trusts received 762 child protection referrals during the quarter ending 30 September 2017. This was 20% below the referrals received during the previous quarter, and 18% below the number of referrals for the same quarter in 2016. The drop in referral figures may partly be a reflection of recent updated guidelines in regards to recording of referrals
- the largest proportion of referrals, 62%, originated from within Social Services, followed by the police with 17%
Notes to editors:
1. This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
2. This bulletin is the 28th quarterly reporting of Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI.
3. Statistics detailed within the bulletin include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 September 2017, by legal status, age, category of abuse and duration on the Register, and numbers of Child Protection Referrals by source of referral during the second quarter of 2017/18.
4. Statistics for the quarter ending 31 December 2017 are due for publication in February 2018. Please note that following a consultation exercise in 2015 these statistics are now published in table format only.
5. The publication schedule for statistics produced by the Department of Health is available online.
6. This publication is available online.
7. Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 528446
Fax: (028) 90 523288
8. For media inquiries about this press release contact DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0567. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- New Taskforce set up to help protect social workers from violence and abuse 12 November 2018
- International Fraud Awareness Week 11-17 November 2018 12 November 2018
- Department update on health and social care pay 11 November 2018
- Minister for Health, Simon Harris T.D officially opened the 3rd Annual Conference of the All Island Congenital Heart Disease Network at Farmleigh House, Dublin 02 November 2018