The Department of Health has today published ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for the north of Ireland (July – September 2016)’.
Key Facts and Figures:
Child Protection Register
- at 30 September 2016, 2,262 children were listed on the Child Protection Register, representing a 2% increase on the previous quarter and of 5% on the previous year
- taking account of local demographics, register counts per 10,000 children’s population (under 18), ranged from 45.8 in the Western HSC Trust to 58.7 in the Southern HSC Trust; overall there were 52.1 children per 10,000 on the register
- four out of five (80%) children were on the register due to physical abuse, neglect or a combination of physical abuse and neglect
- some 70% of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 September 2016 had been on the register for less than one year with 2% of children on the register for three years or longer
Child Protection Referrals
- HSC Trusts received 928 child protection referrals during the quarter ending 30 September 2016. This was 14% lower than the previous quarter, and 9% below the number of referrals for the same quarter in 2015
- the largest proportion of referrals, 52%, originated from within Social Services, followed by the police with 18%
Notes to editors:
1. This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
2. This bulletin is the twenty fourth quarterly reporting of Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for the north of Ireland.
3. Statistics detailed within the bulletin include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 September 2016, by legal status, age, category of abuse and duration on the Register, and numbers of Child Protection Referrals by source of referral during the second quarter of 2016/17.
4. Statistics for the quarter ending 31 December 2016 are due for publication in February 2017. Please note that following a consultation exercise in 2015 these statistics are now published in table format only.
5. The publication schedule for statistics produced by the Department of Health is available online.
6. This publication is available online.
7. Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Stormont Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 520599
Fax: (028) 90 523288
8. Media enquiries about this press release to DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0505, or out of office hours contact to Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Extension to term of Office of a Non-Executive Member of the Patient and Client Council 17 July 2019
- Reappointment of two Non-Executive Directors to the Public Health Agency 09 July 2019
- Transformation fund continues to support much-needed change 04 July 2019
- Complaints and Compliments received by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland 2018-19 04 July 2019