The Department of Health has today published ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI (January – March 2017)’.
Key Facts and Figures:
Child Protection Register
- At 31 March 2017, 2,130 children were listed on the Child Protection Register, representing a 3% decrease on the previous quarter and a decrease of 1% on the previous year;
- Taking account of local demographics, register counts per 10,000 children’s population (under 18) ranged from 42.3 in the Northern HSC Trust to 60.7 in the Southern HSC Trust; overall there were 49.1 children per 10,000 on the register;
- Four out of five (80%) children were on the register due to physical abuse, neglect or a combination of physical abuse and neglect;
- Some 69% of children on the Child Protection Register at 31 March 2017 had been on the register for less than one year with 2% of children on the register for three years or longer.
Child Protection Referrals
- HSC Trusts received 970 child protection referrals during the quarter ending 31 March 2017. This was similar to the previous quarter and 13% below the number of referrals for the same quarter in 2016;
The largest proportion of referrals, 50%, originated from within Social Services, followed by the police with 13%.
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
- This bulletin is the twenty sixth quarterly reporting of Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI.
- Statistics detailed within the bulletin include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register at 31 March 2017, by legal status, age, category of abuse and duration on the Register, and numbers of Child Protection Referrals by source of referral during the fourth quarter of 2016/17.
- Statistics for the quarter ending 30 June 2017 are due for publication in August 2017. Please note that following a consultation exercise in 2015 these statistics are now published in table format only.
- The publication schedule for statistics produced by the Department of Health is available online.
- This publication is available online.
- Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Castle Buildings, Stormont
Belfast, BT4 3SQ
- For media inquiries about this press release contact DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0074. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned
Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Fight Against Obesity Continues 19 February 2018
- Publication of ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI (October – December 2017)’ 15 February 2018
- Reappointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service 08 February 2018
- ‘Concerted action’ pledged on Inquiry report 02 February 2018