The Department of Health has today published ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI (April – June 2017)’.
Key facts and figures:
Child Protection Register
- At 30 June 2017, 2,061 children were listed on the Child Protection Register, representing a 3% decrease on the previous quarter and a decrease of 4% on the previous year;
- Taking account of local demographics, register counts per 10,000 children’s population (under 18), ranged from 39.9 in the Northern HSC Trust to 57.5 in the Southern HSC Trust; overall there were 47.3 children per 10,000 on the register;
- Four out of five (80%) children were on the register due to physical abuse, neglect or a combination of physical abuse and neglect;
- Some 66% of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 June 2017 had been on the register for less than one year with 2% of children on the register for three years or longer;
Child Protection Referrals
- HSC Trusts received 949 child protection referrals during the quarter ending 30 June 2017. This was similar to the previous quarter, and 15% below the number of referrals for the same quarter in 2016;
- The largest proportion of referrals, 63%, originated from within Social Services, followed by the police with 9%.
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
- This bulletin is the 27th quarterly reporting of Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for NI.
- Statistics detailed within the bulletin include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 June 2017, by legal status, age, category of abuse and duration on the Register, and numbers of Child Protection Referrals by source of referral during the first quarter of 2017/18.
- Statistics for the quarter ending 30 September 2017 are due for publication in November 2017. Please note that following a consultation exercise in 2015 these statistics are now published in table format only.
- The publication schedule for statistics produced by the Department of Health is available online at: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/publications/statistical-releases-calendar
- This publication is available online at: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/articles/child-protection-register
- Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2,
- For media inquiries about this press release contact DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0567. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- Pre-departure testing for all International arrivals to Northern Ireland 17 January 2021
- Travellers from South America must self-isolate and get tested 17 January 2021
- Dr McBride and Dr Holohan urge everyone to stay home 15 January 2021
- We cannot ease up in our fightback – Health Minister 15 January 2021