The Department of Health has today published ‘Quarterly Child Protection Statistics for the north of Ireland (April – June 2016)’.
Key Facts and Figures:
Child Protection Register
- at 30 June 2016, 2,207 children were listed on the Child Protection Register. This represented a 3% increase on the previous quarter
- taking account of local demographics, register counts per 10,000 children’s population (under 18), ranged from 44.7 in the Western HSC Trust to 57.9 in the Southern HSC Trust; overall there were 51.0 children per 10,000 on the register
- four out of five (82%) children were on the register due to physical abuse, neglect or a combination of physical abuse and neglect
- some 70% of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 June 2016 had been on the register for less than one year with 2% of children on the register for three years or longer
Child Protection Referrals
- HSC Trusts received 1,079 child protection referrals for the quarter ending 30 June 2016. This was 4% lower than the previous quarter, and 2% below the number of referrals for the same quarter in 2015
- the largest proportion of referrals, 52%, originated from within Social Services, followed by the PSNI with 14%
Notes to editors:
1. This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
2. This bulletin is the twenty third quarterly reporting of Children Order Child Protection and Referral Statistics.
3. Statistics detailed within the bulletin include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register at 30 June 2016, by legal status, age, category of abuse and duration on the Register, and numbers of Child Protection Referrals by source of referral during the fourth quarter of 2015/16. Trend analyses are presented regionally and by HSC Trusts.
4. Statistics for the quarter ending 30 September 2016 are due for publication in November 2016. Please note from quarter ending 30 September 2016 these statistics will be published in table format only.
5. The publication schedule for statistics produced by the Department of Health is available online.
6. This publication is available online.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 520599
Fax: (028) 90 523288
7. For media inquiries about this press release contact DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0567. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- DOH Statement – RCN ballot announcement 20 September 2019
- NI’s first Aspiring Nurse Directors graduate at Stormont 20 September 2019
- Transformation in Action: Advanced Nursing Practitioners in Northern Ireland 17 September 2019
- Publication of the statistical bulletin ‘Children in Care in Northern Ireland 2017/18’ 12 September 2019