The Department of Health today published a statistical bulletin summarising information on care leavers aged 16-18 in Northern Ireland and care leavers whose 19th birthday occurred during the year ending 31 March 2022.
Care leavers aged 16-18
- There were 320 care leavers aged 16-18 in 2021/22.
- Some two thirds (65%) of care leavers aged 16-18 had GCSEs or other qualifications. The proportion of care leavers who had 5 GCSEs (A*-C) or higher at the time of leaving care was 33%.
- Care leavers continue to have a higher proportion of young people with a Statement of Educational Need (23%) compared with the general school population (5%).
- Of the care leavers aged 16-18 in 2021/22, for whom information was available, 75% were in full time or part time education, training or employment. Some 14% were unemployed and 11% were economically inactive because of caring responsibilities or illness/disabilities.
Care leavers aged 19
- There were 225 care leavers aged 19 in 2021/22.
- Some 90% of care leavers aged 19 were in contact with Health and Social Care Trusts; with 65% in contact at least once a month.
- Some 79% received some form of ongoing support from social services, including support for higher education and accommodation.
- Of the care leavers for whom information was available,75% were in education, training or employment – a slight increase from the previous year.
- In terms of becoming a parent, 13% of all care leavers aged 19 were parents, 18 young women and 8 young men.
Notes to editors:
- All publications are available on the Department of Health website.
- About the data: The source of the data contained in this release is the Departmental OC1 and OC3 statistical returns, collected from HSC Trusts on an annual basis.
- This statistical bulletin was produced by Community Information Branch, DoH.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health,
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Stormont Belfast BT4 3SQ
Tel: (028) 90 522580
- Media queries to DoH Information Office on 02890 520074, or out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 27 January 2023
- Extensions to the terms of five interim authority members of the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority 27 January 2023
- Emergency Care Waiting Time Statistics (October - December 2022) 26 January 2023
- Publication of “Domiciliary Care Services for Adults in Northern Ireland (2022)” 24 January 2023