The Department of Health has today published “Domiciliary Care Services for Adults in Northern Ireland (2021)”.
The bulletin presents information on the numbers of clients receiving domiciliary care, contact hours, domiciliary care visits and intensive domiciliary care provision.
The survey was completed by each Health and Social Care Trust between October and December 2021.
Key Facts and Figures:
During the survey week in September 2021:
- an estimated 299,824 contact hours of domiciliary care were provided by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland, an increase of 7% (20,845) from the survey week in 2020 (278,979).
- the statutory sector provided 27% of domiciliary care contact hours, with 73% provided by the independent sector.
- an average of 13.2 domiciliary care contact hours were provided per client, an increase compared to 2020 (13.0).
- HSC Trusts provided domiciliary care services for 22,693 clients, an increase of 6% (1,202) from the survey week in 2020 (21,491).
- 551,418 domiciliary care visits were provided to clients, 24% from the statutory sector and 76% from the independent sector.
- over half (54%) of all domiciliary care visits provided to clients were between 16 and 30 minutes long. Three in ten (31%) visits were 15 minutes or less and under one in seven (15%) were more than 30 minutes long.
- 10,061 clients received a domiciliary care visit lasting 15 minutes or less, over two-fifths (44%) of all clients receiving domiciliary care.
Clients Receiving Intensive Domiciliary Care
- 9,843 clients received intensive domiciliary care services, which is defined as 6 or more visits and more than 10 contact hours during the survey week, an increase of 11% compared to the survey week in 2020 (8,895).
Notes to editors:
- All publications are available online at: Domiciliary care | Department of Health (health-ni.gov.uk)
- About the data:
- The source of the data contained in this release is the Departmental CC7b statistical return which is collected from HSC Trusts on an annual basis.
- Figures incorporate all returns and amendments received from HSC Trusts up to 16 January 2022.
- This statistical bulletin was produced by Community Information Branch, DoH.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Tel: (028) 90 522342
Internet: Social care statistics | Department of Health (health-ni.gov.uk)
4. For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
6. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 05 August 2022
- Release of Northern Ireland inpatient, day case and outpatient hospital statistics for 2021/22 04 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 29 July 2022
- New digital strategy will unlock opportunities for health service improvements 28 July 2022