The Department of Health today published a statistical bulletin summarising information on adults receiving domiciliary care services during a survey week in September 2019.
The bulletin presents information on the numbers of clients receiving domiciliary care, contact hours, domiciliary care visits and intensive domiciliary care provision.
The survey was completed by each Health and Social Care Trust between October and December 2019.
Key Facts and Figures:
During the survey week in September 2019:
- An estimated 276,188 contact hours of domiciliary care were provided by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland, an increase of 3% (9,105) from the survey week in 2018 (267,083).
- The statutory sector provided 29% of domiciliary care contact hours, with 71% provided by the independent sector.
- An average of 11.8 domiciliary care contact hours were provided per client, a slight increase compared to 2018 (11.4).
Clients Receiving Domiciliary Care
- HSC Trusts provided domiciliary care services for 23,425 clients, similar to the number during the survey week in 2018 (23,409).
Domiciliary Care Visits
- 515,228 domiciliary care visits were provided to clients, 28% from the statutory sector and 72% from the independent sector.
- Over half (54%) of all domiciliary care visits provided to clients were between 16 and 30 minutes long. Three in ten (31%) visits were 15 minutes or less and under one in six (15%) were more than 30 minutes long.
- 10,101 clients received a domiciliary care visit lasting 15 minutes or less, over two-fifths (43%) of all clients receiving domiciliary care.
Clients Receiving Intensive Domiciliary Care
- 8,904 clients received intensive domiciliary care services, which is defined as 6 or more visits and more than 10 contact hours during the survey week. This represents a 2% increase (133) compared to the survey week in 2018 (8,771).
Notes to editors:
1. All publications are available online.
2 About the data:
- The source of the data contained in this release is the Departmental CC7b statistical return which is collected from HSC Trusts on an annual basis.
- Figures incorporate all returns and amendments received from HSC Trusts up to 9th December 2019.
3. This statistical bulletin was produced by Community Information Branch, DoH.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Tel: (028) 90 522342
4. For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office team on 028 9052 0579 or email email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
5. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Update on coronavirus 24 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Termination of Pregnancy Statistics 2018/19 22 January 2020
- Health Minister launches International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife 16 January 2020
- Health Minister welcomes Unison and RCN's decision 16 January 2020