The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety today published a statistical bulletin summarising information on adults receiving domiciliary care services during a survey week in September 2015.
The bulletin presents information on the numbers of clients receiving domiciliary care, contact hours, domiciliary care visits and intensive domiciliary care provision.
The survey was completed by each Health and Social Care Trust between October 2015 and January 2016.
The main findings from the 2015 survey indicate that an estimated 255,209 contact hours of domiciliary care were provided by HSC Trusts during 321,987 domiciliary care visits. 23,260 clients were in receipt of domiciliary care with almost 3 in 10 (6,635) clients receiving a domiciliary care visit lasting 15 minutes or less.
Key Facts and Figures:
During the survey week in September 2015:
- An estimated 255,209 contact hours of domiciliary care were provided by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland, an increase of 2% (4,411) from the survey week in 2014 (250,798).
- The statutory sector provided 32% of domiciliary care contact hours, with 68% provided by the independent sector.
- An average of 11.0 domiciliary care contact hours were provided per client, an increase of 6% when compared to 2014 (10.4).
Clients Receiving Domiciliary Care
- HSC Trusts provided domiciliary care services for 23,260 clients, 4% less than the number during the survey week in 2014 (24,189).
Domiciliary Care Visits
- 321,987 domiciliary care visits were provided to clients, 34% from the statutory sector and 66% from the independent sector.
- Half (50%) of all domiciliary care visits provided to clients were between 16 and 30 minutes long. Almost three in ten (28%) visits were 15 minutes or less and over one in five (22%) were more than 30 minutes long.
- 6,635 clients received a domiciliary care visit lasting 15 minutes or less, almost three in ten (29%) of all clients receiving domiciliary care.
- Over four fifths (81%) of all clients receiving domiciliary care services received six or more visits. The proportion of clients receiving 6 or more visits has steadily increased since 2011.
Clients Receiving Intensive Domiciliary Care
- 7,426 clients received intensive domiciliary care services, 9% (751) less than during the survey week in 2014 (8,177).
Notes to editors:
- All publications are available online.
- About the data:
- The source of the data contained in this release is the Departmental CC7b statistical return which is collected from HSC Trusts on an annual basis.
- Figures incorporate all returns and amendments received from HSC Trusts up to 28th January 2016.
- This statistical bulletin was produced by Community Information Branch, DHSSPS.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Tel: (028) 90 522493
Fax: (028) 90 523288
Internet: Department of Health
- Media enquiries about this press release to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0575, or out of office hours contact to Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Mental Health and Learning Disability Inpatients 2018-19 21 August 2019
- NI Health and Social Care Workforce Census - March 2019 20 August 2019
- Publication of “Patient Education / Self Management Programmes for People with Long Term Conditions 2018/19” 14 August 2019
- Home Care Experience Survey 2018 08 August 2019