The Department of Health has today published ‘Children Adopted from Care in NI 2015/16’.
This bulletin details statistical information relating to children adopted from care in, during the year ending 31 March 2016. The tables within the bulletin present a range of information about these children and their adopters, including durations between different stages in the adoption process. The bulletin is based on the DoH statistical return AD1 2015/16, which was collected from each of the five Health and Social Care Trusts.
- Eighty nine children were adopted from care during the year ending 31 March 2016, seventeen more than in 2015 (72)
- The average age of children at the time of adoption was 4 years 5 months;
- From the last entry into care, the average length of time for a child to be adopted in 2015/16 was 2 years 11 months. This was 2 months shorter than in 2014/15
- For children adopted in 2015/16, the average duration from the Trust LAC Best Interest Proposal to adoption was 2 years 3 months, one month less than in 2014/15
- Fifty one children were adopted by their foster carers in 2015/16. This represented 57% of the overall number of adoptions
- Children adopted by their foster carers were in general slightly older at the time of adoption than the other adopted children and the duration of the adoption process was generally longer
 LAC – Looked After Child
Notes to editors:
1. This publication is available online.
2. About the data:
The source of the data contained in this release is the Departmental AD1 statistical return, collected from Health and Social Services Trusts and relating to the period 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016.
3. This statistical bulletin was produced by Community Information Branch, DoH.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health,
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Stormont Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 522580
Fax: (028) 90 523288
4. Media queries to DoH Information Office on 028 9052 0579, or out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Publication of “Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2022)” 23 September 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 23 September 2022
- Extension to the term of a Non-Executive (Lay) Director of the Northern Health and Social Care Trust 23 September 2022
- Health Minister welcomes roll out of vaccination programme 21 September 2022