The Department of Health (DoH) has today, published quarterly Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) waiting time statistics for Northern Ireland.
This publication presents quarter end figures regionally and by Health and Social Care Trust in respect of total numbers waiting, and those waiting over 9 weeks, for a CAMHS assessment.
Key Facts and Figures:
- At 30 September 2023, there were 2,017 total waits for a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) assessment in Northern Ireland, of which 1,189 were waiting for more than nine weeks (59%).
- Since a low of 1,107 total waits for a CAMHS assessment during the COVID-19 pandemic (September 2020), the number of children and young people waiting for an assessment of CAMHS in Northern Ireland has been increasing, with a peak of 2,388 total waits at 31 March 2023.
- The Northern HSC Trust had the highest numbers waiting for a CAMHS assessment at 30 June 2023 (663) whilst the Western HSC Trust had the least numbers waiting (331).
- The statistics presented derive from returns completed by each HSC Trust in Northern Ireland in relation to Mental Health Outpatients Waiting Times.
- This quarterly summary report is created by Information Analysis Directorate in Department of Health, and was published for the first time on 14 June 2023.
- The quarterly figures will, until further notice, be deemed as Experimental Statistics and subject to change, which is common for new published statistics.
Notes to editors:
- This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DoH.
- A statistical release of CAMHS information is published on a quarterly basis.
- Statistics detailed within the bulletin are presented regionally and by Health and Social Care Trust in respect of number of waits for a CAMHS assessment and time waiting.
- Similar statistics relating to the quarter ending 31 December 2023 are due for release in February 2024.
- This publication is available online at: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/articles/children-and-adolescent-mental-health-service-camhs-statistics.
- Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health
Room 11, Annexe 2
Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 522342
Internet: Department of Health
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on X @healthdpt and linkedIn Department of Health NI | LinkedIn
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of the quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 30 September 2023 30 November 2023
- New pancreatic cancer partnership announced 30 November 2023
- Health Survey (NI): First Results 2022/23 29 November 2023
- New obesity consultations launched 24 November 2023