Health Minister Robin Swann has announced an additional £2.05m for Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) to help address the significant financial challenges faced at this time.
The additional funding will help alleviate the pressures on the service from rising energy costs as well as overtime and other costs linked to the delivery of the frontline emergency response.
Minister Swann said: “Firefighters have a unique and extensive set of skills and capabilities. Last April I had the privilege to see their bravery and dedication at first-hand when they tackled a serious blaze up the Mourne Mountains and more recently in Ballymoney at a disused factory site. That tireless determination is not unique to that one fire. The work of a firefighter often extends beyond that of fires and I commend them for the work they do each and every day in helping protect each and every one of us.
“The additional funding I am announcing today will make a real difference. It will ensure NIFRS can address the financial challenges faced this year and support firefighters in the work they do for the communities they serve.”
Carmel McKinney OBE, Chairperson of Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service Board said: “On behalf of the NIFRS Board I greatly welcome this support from Minister Swann.
This funding is key in helping us make Northern Ireland a safer place. We will continue to deliver a high quality fire and rescue service that is valued by the public, our partners and our people.”
Peter O'Reilly, Chief Fire & Rescue Officer said: “As Chief Fire & Rescue Officer for Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service, I am grateful for the support that the Minister, Robin Swann, has provided. This support will ensure that all of our communities across Northern Ireland can be assured of the best possible response when they need us.”
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey – Antibody Data for Northern Ireland 10 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 05 August 2022
- Release of Northern Ireland inpatient, day case and outpatient hospital statistics for 2021/22 04 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 29 July 2022