The Department of Health has today welcomed the setting of public sector pay policy for 2017-18. This clears the way for the implementation of a 2017/18 Pay Award for over 55,000 health and social care workers in Northern Ireland.
A 1% uplift was recommended earlier this year by the independent NHS Pay Review Body and the Review Body on Doctors’ and Dentists’ Remuneration. Implementation was delayed in the absence of a Northern Ireland public sector pay policy for 2017-18. The pay policy, determined by the Department of Finance today, along with the allocation of £26million on 28 November, allows the Department of Health to implement the 1% pay award for health and social care workers.
The Permanent Secretary of the Department of Health, Richard Pengelly said: “Our workers are our most valuable asset and they deserve to receive the hard-earned pay which is owed to them. I fully understand the frustrations and uncertainty about pay caused by the absence, until today, of a pay policy.”
The necessary arrangements to make the backdated pay award will be put in place as soon as possible, with full implementation expected before the end of the financial year.
Notes to editors:
1. The pay award applies to Agenda for Change staff, hospital medical and dental staff, doctors and dentists in public health and the community health service, and salaried personal dental service.
2. Pay Remits in respect of Agenda for Change and Salaried Doctors and Dentists will be submitted to the Department of Finance (DoF) for approval.
3. The Business Services Organisation (BSO) will implement the award (the uplift and arrears) in the first quarter of 2018.
4. Media queries to DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0074, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- NI Health and Social Care Workforce Census – March 2018 21 August 2018
- Northern Ireland Paramedics get formal recognition as Allied Health Professionals (AHP) 15 August 2018
- Statistics on Smoking Cessation Services in Northern Ireland: Four week follow up figures for 2017/18, and 52 week follow up figures for 2016/17 15 August 2018
- Department to simplify employment arrangements for junior doctors 14 August 2018