The Department of Health has today published an independent inspection report on the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS).
The inspection was commissioned by the Department in June 2022 and was led by HM Chief Inspector of the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service, Robert Scott.
Department of Health Permanent Secretary Peter May today said: “The Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service provides a vital service to the community. The commitment and expertise of its personnel have been demonstrated time and time again.
“The independent inspection report provides an important focus on the challenges facing the organisation and the actions that are necessary to build for the future. I would like to thank Mr Scott and his colleagues for the comprehensive assessment they have provided.
“The report acknowledges the leadership provided by the NIFRS Board and the professionalism of the NIFRS executive team, highlighting their desire to work with the inspectors to identify opportunities for improvement.
“The report rightly states that the level of improvement required will require time, financial investment and significant political support.”
Mr May concluded: “While I have no doubt that this inspection process has been challenging at times, I am certain that it will prove very beneficial to NIFRS and will help ensure that it continues to provide an excellent service to Northern Ireland.”
Notes to editors:
1. The report can be read here: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/publications/nifrs-independent-inspection-report
2. For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
3. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- End Review of Tobacco Control Strategy for NI 25 September 2023
- Quarterly Carers Statistics for Northern Ireland (April – June 2023) 22 September 2023
- Extension to the terms of appointment of two Non-executive Directors to the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service 22 September 2023
- Unused medicines cost Northern Ireland health system £18m per year 20 September 2023